This is another one of those items which should be really simple to make. There are many ways one can make parallettes – a popular way being using PVC piping. I prefer wood for a variety of reasons, so that was what I used.
Ingredients and tools:
- Chipboard (particle board), 16 pieces of approx. 10 x 20cm 18mm thickness
- A broomstick or a wooden stick approx. 30mm in diameter
- Some glue for wood and some clamps
- A saw and a sanding device of your choice
- 8 screws for wood, at least 50mm long
- some glue and some sandpaper or rubber flooring
Time and cost:
wood – a few pounds, screws and glue – 2 pounds. Time: half an hour without glueing.
- This, again, has to be one of the simplest pieces of equipment you can build yourself. All you need to make is a base on which you will attach a piece of a broomstick and make it stable. I started with 16 pieces of 18mm particle board, cut into approx. 10 x 20 cm pieces. The sizes don’t have to match perfectly at this point since you’ll do some sanding later. Make 4 sets of 4 pieces and glue each set together, one on top of the other. This way you will get your 4 bases. If you want your bases taller than this, scale the whole system up (twice the height = twice the size of each dimension of the pieces – so double the height = 4 times the base area!)
- When the glue has dried, sand the sides of your bases to make them smooth. I also sanded down the corners so I wouldn’t have any “sharp” accidents. Now, take your broomstick and cut two pieces of equal length. The stick doesn’t have to be too long (in fact, it shouldn’t be) – 50cm is plenty. Attach the ends of the stick to the bases. You want this connection to be strong, so don’t use glue – it is better to use nails, or, even better, strong screws. You can use a drill and a small wood bit to make holes which will help put the screws in more easily.
- To make the parallettes stable, you should put two screws on each end. Finally, if you intend to work with parallettes on a slippery floor, you can glue some sandpaper or some rubber below the base.
You can get a PDF of this manual here:How to make parallettes